Today I went into a sound studio to record my part in a documentary on pregnancy. The focus of the documentary is more about women's changing emotional and psychological experiences while pregnant, over their physical experience. The piece will be shown at Ft. Mason in San Francisco sometime late this year or early next, and include lots of photography and interpretive installations.
Some of my favorite questions today were:
What color is your pregnancy?
Before I got pregnant, I'd have to say that I lived my life in three colors...a light shade of grey, a dark shade of a grey, and a reddish pink. Today, I'm open to adopting many more colors and feel more comfortable with the idea that over time, your colors do change :).
What are you most proud of right now, at this time in your pregnancy?
This is a hard one. But, I had to say that it was that I'm conscious of the fact that I'm nurturing another human being inside me and have been able to integrate the Bean into my life, every day, in some meaningful way...even if it's just about acknowledging him and how he's doing or waking up to him and saying hello.
What is your greatest struggle in being pregnant?
I'd have to say I've struggled most with designing my new identity as a pregnant person and mother. On one hand, I feel like people look at me and see every other pregnant person -- "oh, she's pregnant" over "oh, look at those shoes," or "she has good posture". On the other hand, I feel like I'm absolutely more different and more unique and more challenged than I ever have been before. Thanks certainly go to all my girlfriends who are mothers and who care about their careers and husbands and friendships and their own identity and vision!
No comments:
Post a Comment