Sometimes the days are really formulaic...wash, rinse, repeat. Everything pretty much works like clockwork. Calum eats, poops, sleeps, plays and repeats this cycle every few hours. Other days are chaos...eating several times an hour, pooping and spitting up constantly. If only there was some predictability...life would be much different!
The other day Calum kept pooping and peeing while I was changing his diaper. After four attempts to lay a clean diaper beneath his bottom (and four clean diapers soiled), I just decided to put some padding beneath him and let him pee and poo at will. And, he did.
Calum really likes being in the buff. I was thinking...jeez...most of our lives we've got stuff wrapped around our privates (either diapers or underclothes), and I'm going to let this kid hang out nude as long as he wants!
Yesterday we went for our month check up at the Doctor. Calum got the second of his Hep B shot. He was such a good boy the whole visit...I know the Dr. is always so impressed with how inquisitive and quiet he is. He just stared at the bold painted squares on the wall and let the Dr. inspect all his parts. In the last few days I've noticed he's really started to respond to his surroundings and voice his opinion more...when he's happy or uncomfortable or cold, etc. When the nurse came in and gave him a shot in his thigh, boy did he wail! Oh...my heart broke! The look on his face was one of pain and I can't say I'd really seen that before.
Calum weighed in at 9 lbs 2 oz. He's gaining approximately 1 oz per day. 25 ounces go in...24 come out! In the last week:
- Calum smiled at me for the first time with his eyes open. We were just finished a feeding and he let out a big burp and I praised him! Oh...he's going to have the most beautiful smile soon!
- He has been sleeping for at least one four hour period each night
- We've gone to the Ferry Building with Etienne and Lucian, met Holly for the first time, spent time with Julija and Taikaro, been shopping all over the city, and been to Lisa's dermatologist and chiropractor
- Calum has also taken a newfound liking to pictures, puppies (he doesn't mind when Carla licks his feet) and sounds
- Chris and I have bonded over dinners of fajitas, grilled lamb with thai peanut sauce, grilled chicken, Eliza's chinese food
- Calum has started making some new sounds...whimpers, grunts, yelps...he still makes the cutest little swallowing noises when he eats
- Calum has spent a lot more time sitting upright exploring his surroundings...sometimes just holding him upright in our arms and showing him different things in the house is soothing for him
In other news, Chris and I are fighting a tear down and reconstruction of a house directly behind ours with city planning. It's currently a two story Victorian and the owner wants to convert it to a five story modern building which will ultimately obstruct our view. Not to mention, the solar panels on the roof will cause a lot of glare for us and ultimately heat up our place more than it already is (can you believe the owner wanted to put a wind turbine initially?). Aaaah, San Francisco. Gotta love it.
Pictures from the week:



I am still trying to figure out that last picture/video! Always great to read the updates.
ReplyDelete