Monday, March 26, 2012

Longest 5 days on record

I think we're through the most difficult part now.

Calum had a minor cough and diarhea for the 7 days preceeding all of this. But, by last Tuesday his symptoms evolved to include a fever of 102. By 9p the following day it had gotten to 104 and he was projectile vomiting. On Thursday night around 11p we realized it had been upwards of 10 hours since he had a wet diaper and was unable to keep even a teaspoon of fluid down without vomiting. We went to the ER and they confirmed he was becoming seriously dehydrated; after 5 hours, anti-nausea meds and a boatload of IV saline, we were hopeful and on our way.

Friday was better with him drinking more. On Saturday we were still battling a 104 fever, and the advice nurse advised us to take him to urgent care as the fever should have resolved itself by then. The doctor took one look at him and debated about sending him to the ER. He was tested for RSV and the flu; both negative. He returned from the lab more spirited and was prescribed antibiotics for his eyes and ibuprofen for his fever (we had been giving him acetaminophen suppositories because he couldn't keep oral meds down). Chris and Calum returned home after 9p and little C slept until 7am (nurse advised me not to go with them this time at 40 weeks pregnant at risk of exposing myself to something else).

I was up most of the night Saturday watching over him, making sure he was getting the meds we snuck into his milk, and finally hit the sack around 5:30--awoke at 8am to a vibrant, energetic voice coming from the kitchen. It was Calum! First time in five days I had seen a smile on his face. I greeted him, asked for a hug, and he swung his arms around me like it had been weeks since we were together.

Chris was feeling the onset of a cold on Saturday, but fortunately it seems to have gotten better. I've had a cough for upwards of two months but now things are worse with full on cold symptoms; am fearful of going into labor while sick and infecting our newborn. Suggestions for how to resolve this quickly are much appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. To top off this story, after Saturday's visit to the pediatric center at CPMC, I took Calum and his newly-written prescription to the nearest 24-hour Walgreens to get it filled. Dropped it off with sick son in my arms. We patiently waited, with 5 other people around us waiting for their own prescriptions to get filled.

    It got very quiet all of a sudden - all the chattering and feet shuffling and bag crackling stopped for a moment. And then Calum, as if that were his queue, proceeded to rip a 5-second fart/diaper blowout combo. I could literally feel his diaper inflate. And I could smell it too. Everyone stared. I didn't mind, but out of respect I moved over to a corner away from people. The smell came with me, and it was strong. Fortunately, the pharmacy called my name then, and we got our medicine and ran out of Walgreen's laughing. Of course it was pouring rain.

    I put Calum in his seat and he smiled at me as I did. He fell asleep in seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And quick update: Calum has not had a fever since Sunday afternoon. He's a bit tired still but he's almost totally well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy....... Not sure what to say to you Chris other than that I am quietly laughing about your experience. You are a good dad!

    ReplyDelete