- - - - - - -


July 4, 2009
My dearest little boy,
You are 16 days old today.
I am so happy to be your mom. I just can’t express how blessed I feel to have you. How did I get so lucky to give birth to such a perfect human being? Everything about you is more than I could ever ask for...your temperament, your smiles, your hugs, your lips and your eyes. You are beautiful in every way and I will never feel anything different, no matter the struggles and experiences we will endure as you grow.
Each day your dad and I learn more about how to care for you and support you. I’m tuning in to your little movements more and more and am learning when you’re hungry vs. when you’re hot vs. when you just want to be held. You usually signal you’re hungry by putting your hands into your mouth and attempting to chew on anything that crosses your path. You tell me you’re hot (as well as when you have gas) when you start to kick the covers off of yourself and stretch out your legs and arms...you also turn red :). You signal you want to be held when you start to whimper and move your arms and legs as if you’re looking to cover yourself with the blanket.
Carla has been so curious about you since you arrived—she takes any opportunity she can get to gaze into your eyes and lick your feet. I caught her resting her head on the edge of your bassinet the other day...watching you, waiting for you to move. When you make the sweet little cries and grunts you do, sometimes she’ll rush over to where you are and whine...as if to further alert us. She will be your great protector when you’re older and I’m sure you’ll come to love her as much as we do.
Dearest boy, we’re having so much fun with you and can’t wait for all the amazing experiences we’ll have together. We are loving every moment with you now, but also dream of a fast approaching future when you are smiling more, sitting, saying “dada” and “mama”, counting your ABC’s, and running around the house chasing Carla. We’ll have so much fun.
Loving you from dusk until dawn (and then from dawn until dusk again!),
Mom
It is 4th of July today and we are learning that Carla hates the noise that fireworks make. She has been hiding under Lisa's desk and shivering.
ReplyDeleteA beautiful letter Lisa!! Every minute and new experience with Calum will be very precious.
ReplyDeleteMom
Deep inner feelings expressed exquisitely by a very loving, caring and thoughtful mother. Calum, you are one lucky little fellow. We grandparents share your mom's thoughts.
ReplyDeleteLisa, What abeautiful letter, and one Calum can grow up on. Our sentiments exactly. Love to all four of you. Joe
ReplyDelete