Thursday, June 18, 2009

What A Day!

What to say? This has been one of the most special and meaningful days in Chris and my life. Calum is resting in his bassinet in our recovery room, and I keep looking over in amazement. Wow, look at what we made! Certainly my greatest accomplishment :).

He's such a good baby. Took to the breast in a matter of minutes, and has been a good sleeper, too. The Dr.'s and nurses have checked him out and for all intents and purposes, he's perfect (my first brag!!).

Delivery was ultimately easy--I mean, I know people usually look back with a "what labor?" kind of attitude...the fact that you've delivered a baby somehow erases all the pain. But, even though we spent 48 hours in the labor room, and about 26 of that actually laboring, I feel incredibly lucky for things to have gone so smoothly. Our labor experience is testament that if you just relax and let go and let your body do what it knows it needs to, it will. In the last 12 hours of our experience, I dilated 7cm and delivered with minimal pushing...all but the last part while practically asleep.

Chris is doing well (although tired) and I'm doing excellent. With minimal stitches and a bruised tailbone, I've emerged relatively unscathed. The cheeseburger I had for dinner (I had been on liquids only for 48hrs) helped my recovery immensely and was incredible, and I look forward to filing the rest of the week's dinners with sushi, sandwich meats, vodka, campari and other hard alcohols, as well as European soft cheese :).

I'm thinking of you all and feel so incredibly grateful to have so many caring, supportive people in our lives...your comments played a really important role in this experience for us, and we can't wait to introduce you to our new Bean!!!

Love,
Lisa

4 comments:

  1. Lisa, What beautiful sentiments and what a beautiful baby boy you and Chris have. God is with you. Love, Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, Chirs,
    Have kept up with all from Carolyn. What a beautiful baby! Could not be more perfect looking. Very happy all went so well and all are fine. Will look forward to hearing the story behind the impressive name. Not sure if Calum is a first or second cousin? Thanks for all the good updates. John Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear that delivering Calum was a smooth experience for you Lisa.
    Enjoy and savour these first few days, they will stay with you forever. Calum is blessed to have you and Chris as his parents, we hope to meet him soon.
    Love, Jeannie and Ed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this blog. Brad and I looked at the pictures and we were filled with smiles. Thinking of you all. Looking forward to meeting Calum.
    xo,
    Holly and Brad

    ReplyDelete